Profit, Risk & Leadership: The Business of Construction & Design-Build
By Tom Porter
This book takes you on a clear path through the maze of running a construction business: how to make money, how to manage risk, and how to plan, organize and lead toward the achievement of your goals.
You’ll quickly see how to:
- Select the right projects to pursue and win the award
- Make money and account for the profits earned
- Understand the hidden details in contracts and insurance
- Handle setbacks from project issues and economic woes
- Choose a smart organizational structure
- Lead and motivate people
- Leverage strategic relationships
- Promote the desired culture for your company
This book teaches the business of construction, not methods of construction. Author Tom Porter, a veteran construction industry executive and attorney, shares his insights and practical experience — providing real world solutions to the most common problems in the construction industry. It is written primarily for general building, institutional, governmental, commercial, industrial, entertainment, transportation, power, water/wastewater and other civil projects.
This is essential reading for anyone who is in construction management or aspires to that role!